Thursday, October 15, 2015

Trust the Process

Thursday, 15 October 2015

I was nervous today.  I don't know why, but I get that way sometimes.  I did too much thinking about what students would be doing; I'm a chronic over-thinker.  I wanted students to practice stating a central theme based on a quote.  I had a sample answer prepared - provided by the district - and had pre-highlighted key words in the sample.  The class and I read the quote four times and then dug into highlighting key words.  Afterwards we picked apart those words to see how they were used in the text.  This was a lot of thinking for a 3-line quote, but they did it.  After the analysis, I then restated the notes we took and asked "What is the central theme?"  At this point, I should have let them struggle with an answer.  What did I do? I  continued talking, and provided the prepared answer which didn't perfectly fit what we did in class.  One very astute student said, "I wrote something different."  Although I felt really stupid at this point, I was smart enough to write down her statement, which fit our class work perfectly.

So what did I learn?  Trust your students to do the work, especially after putting forth so much analysis effort. Hmmmmm.....

No comments: