Thursday, October 15, 2015

I Planned for Engagement and a Discussion Broke Out

September 2015

An accidental discussion broke out as I asked one student to respond to the reading.  I do plan for discussion but don't always end up with one.  This time I planned for a single response and ended up with a discussion.  There's this fine line, a balancing act if you will, between teaching students to take turns when talking and allowing for an impromptu discussion.  I like the impromptu; yet, as soon as I don't plan for a discussion, the impromptu will probably cease.  Maybe not.

Here is what I learned from the experience.  When a discussion is about to erupt ...


  • don't stifle talk but allow a discussion to develop
  • intervene only to get students back on topic
  • think on your feet by throwing additional, on-topic, open-ended questions into the mix
  • invite the quiet to respond
Planning for discussion usually involves setting or reviewing the norms and outlining what will be discussed.  This is so artificial. Adults engaged in every-day discussions don't plan that way.  They simply jump in and go for a swim.  If class norms have already been set and if classroom socialization has been taking place prior to the impromptu discussion, students can just jump in and go for a swim.

Truthfully, it's difficult to find discussion questions that capture the attention of 8th graders and that will lead to a meaningful discussion. Allowing students to take the lead helps the teacher. Hmmmmmm ....

No comments: